Friday 22 September 2017

Mock Digipak

A digipack is the casing for a CD which is designed to encourage an audience to buy it. They are often designed with similar visuals to the music video of the song on the CD in terms of the colour scheme, objects, image, artist etc so it creates a theme that the audience will find recognisable. It is important that the digipak makes the genre of music clear and represents the style of the music so then people know what to expect when they listen to it. Our task was to create a digipack for an imagined artist. Our chosen artist as 'Young Naz' who is a grime artist and we had to focus on making the digipak suit the genre and include the artist on it. We briefly did some research on the genre to look at what imagery was involved, costumes, colours, etc. We noticed walls of graffiti was a common trend for grime digipacks as well as a red and black colour scheme and the artist wearing dark hooded clothing. We knew we wanted to include the artist on the front cover section as this is the first part of the design the audience will see so we added a close up of his face with some buildings and splats of black to add more detail. Then I placed his name at the top red so that it stood out from the background. I kept this colour scheme throughout the other sections including dark colours with sections that were bright red. On the bottom left section we cut out another picture of him and placed him sitting in a dark, abandoned room. We then added some pictures of graffiti walls and added a song list on the back. I feel like our digipack suited our genre because we made sure it was dull and gloomy like other grime digipacks and we gave it quite a violent criminal and threatening theme. We also made sure we included a lot of properties from other grime digipacks and turned it into our own idea.
We met our main aim which was to make the genre clear in the digipack but there were many improvements we could make. For example the song list on the back is very difficult to read so the style of font, sizing and colour could be different so its clearer. However it was quite successful as we met most of our criteria for the genre for example the colours scheme, types of visuals, and the costume of the artist. By doing this task it has given me an insight of what a digipack is and what it takes to make one. I have learnt how to make it suit a genre and what sort of properties a digipack has that I need to consider including for example song list, title, bar code, disc section, etc. Like with the magazine advert, I noticed in this as well that the design is important for drawing in the target audience - it needs to be aesthetically pleasing to catch their attention. I will consider and research what my target audience finds aesthetically pleasing in terms of digipaks from the genre I choose. This task has helped me for when I make my own digipack because I now know what I need to improve on and I have some experience on creating a digipak in which will allow me to get better ideas to develop on and know how to actually make one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Evaluation Question 4

Question 4 - How did you use new media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages? Throughout m...