Friday 13 October 2017

Analysis of Ancillary Products

My first chosen artist is Shawn Mendes and for his album 'Handwritten' you can see a clear link between the magazine advert and the digipak. They have used the same image and colour scheme throughout and kept this theme of handwritten text around him. I like this idea of the handwritten font used because it matches the theme of the music. One downside to this is that the magazine cover is the exact same picture as the front cover of the digipak and I think this makes them look too similar. Therefore I can learn from this and look into using different imagery whilst keeping the theme and colours the same. I still could use the same image for the front of my magazine advert as well as my digipak to keep the theme consistent I just need to make sure in my digipak to use other images too. In terms of target audience, Shawn Mendez attracts a young audience because of his age, also because he is a male he attracts more of a female audience. However his music is listened to by a verity of different people. I can see how target audience has been considered in his products as you can see he's tried attracting young females by adding a picture of him on the front and he's kept the cover subtle/simple so to make it as if there's nothing to dislike about it so its suitable for everyone. Looking at the style Shawn Mendez goes for has helped me get an idea of what works for my genre of music and target audience so I will use his products to help me develop some of my ideas.
 
Digipak:

 
Magazine Advert:


My second chosen artist is Camila Cabello. I couldn't find much in terms of digipaks and magazine adverts however I found album covers of her recent singles. You can see a clear theme throughout her products for example there is a plain coloured background in which colours used are all very vibrant and the same font is used. In one of them a bright red is used and the other is yellow which makes Camila stand out and the attention is drawn to her. Also adding the green leaves adds pattern to the design and more colour which makes it seem more summer themed and tropical. The same font is used throughout which is a very bold font written in capitals which stands out a lot especially with the plain coloured background behind it. I think the title on the 'OMG' cover doesn't stand out that much because the writing is a lot smaller and its at the bottom of the design. Therefore I know its important to consider how big I have my own title and where it should be positioned to make it clear to the audience what the name of the song is. Next to the title the name of the artists name is written as that's the name most important information. I have noticed that they are kept very basic and not a lot of text is on them. Its mainly visuals that are used to attract an audience. In terms of images, the artist has been included on the front cover. On the top two covers I like how they have used the same picture of the artist with a different background because it makes it clear they are different songs but have still kept the theme. The bottom cover has a different picture of the artist to help make it clear its a different song to 'OMG' as they have the same background.  In terms of audience, Camila is a pop artist so her target audience isn't very specific but quite broad. You can see evidence of this in her covers because they are kept simple and basic like Shawn's so there's not a lot for people to dislike about it and anyone can like it. I really like the colour theme that she's used throughout but I think this only works with multiple songs and I am only creating one. Therefore I probably wont use this idea. However I will use this research to consider my title in terms of how its presented and where on the design it is placed as I have learnt it is an important aspect of this project.

Album covers (digipak):

When I compare both artists work I have actually realised they are quite similar in terms of target audience and visuals. They both target a young female audience but not specifically as there work is made simple to attract a more broad audience. In terms of visuals they both have had a shoot at with a green screen with the background edited in. I most likely won't do this in my digipak or magazine advert because I want the background to match the theme of the music video as well and we won't be using a green screen for a background.
 
Overall by doing this task I have more of an understanding of who my chosen artists are and what sort of work they have produced which has helped me understand their type of style and target audience. Therefore when I create my own digipak and magazine advert I have an idea of what is expected in terms of what style is best suited for my artists and what to include on them. However I need to make the style of my design work with the song as well as they artists style because my chosen song is more emotional than these songs probably are so it would probably work to use darker colours. Yet I can use this research I have done on my chosen artists to help me develop my ideas whilst making sure they attract the right audience and meet the expected standards for pop music products.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Evaluation Question 4

Question 4 - How did you use new media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages? Throughout m...